Check back here for periodic updates about major events and developments in our program.
Friday, June 28, 2019
The Spring 2019 Surf Report has been published. Some events highlighted in this issue:
- Cadet Physical Training
- Army ROTC Military Ball
- Army ROTC Annual Awards Ceremony
- Commissioning Ceremony of New Second Lieutenants
Friday, March 8, 2019
- Basic Camp & Advanced Camp
- Ranger Challenge 2018
- Fall Leadership Training Exercise
- Leadership Labs
- Pop-Up Range Day
Thursday, February 21, 2019
Up, Up and Away
The Surfrider Battalion was privileged to have the California Air National Guard visit and take them up for a ride in a Blackhawk Helicopter. Click here for the link to the story in the UCSB digital newsletter, The Current, and a short video highlighting the incredible trip.
Tuesday, May 15, 2018
A three-day field training exercise gives UC Santa Barbara ROTC cadets a taste of life in the Army. Click here to read the article, and view the video clip, featured in UCSB's digital newsletter, The Current, written by Jim Logan.
The 2016 - 2017 Surf Report Newsletter has been published. Some events highlighted in this issue:
- Army ROTC Cadets Climb Mount Whitney
- Several Surfriders Compete for the German Armed Forces Proficiency Badge
- Veterans Day Weekend and Memorial Day Events
- Leadership Labs and Field Training Exercises
- Ranger Challenge Competition
- Army ROTC Awards Ceremony
- Annual Surfrider Battalion Military Ball (Dining Out)
- Cadets Commission as Second Lieutenants at Goleta Beach
Thursday, June 15, 2017
A UCSB ROTC Cadet makes the transition from enlisted soldier to Army Officer, graduating at the age of 30. Click here to read the article featured in UCSB's digital newsletter, The Current, written by Jim Logan.
Thursday, June 1, 2017
Click here to read the article featured in the UCSB newspaper, The Daily Nexus, written by Megan Mineiro.
Tuesday, January 31, 2017
The top cadet of UCSB’s ROTC program opts for an Army combat role and hopes to inspire other women to break barriers. Click here to read the article featured in UCSB's digital newsletter, The Current, written by Jim Logan.
Wednesday, September 28, 2016
The UCSB Army ROTC Surfrider Battalion kept busy last year. Click here to see some of the highlights!
Thursday, June 30, 2016
The 2015 - 2016 Surf Report Newsletter has been published. Some events highlighted in this issue:
- Army ROTC Alumni Weekend and 100th Anniversary
- The Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon
- Leadership Lab and Field Training Exercises
- Army ROTC Awards Ceremony
- Annual Army ROTC Surfrider Battalion Military Ball (Dining Out)
- Thirteen Cadets Commission as Second Lieutenants
The ROTC program sends UCSB Cadets to work and learn in countries all around the world.
Click here to read more about this in the UCSB "Current" newsletter.
The Department of Military Science's ROTC program commissioned twelve Cadets as Second Lieutenants in the U.S. Army, Army Reserve, and California National Guard. Click here to read about it in the UCSB "Current" newsletter.
Monday, July 13, 2015
The Spring 2015 Surfrider Newsletter has been published. Some events highlighted in this issue:
- Fourteen Cadets Commission as Second Lieutenants
- Annual ROTC Surfrider Battalion Military Ball
- Spring Leadership Training Exercise at Camp San Luis
- Summer training for Cadets
Members of the UC Santa Barbara ROTC Surfrider Battalion got to experience some of the best technology the U.S. Army has to offer when they took flight in a new Chinook CH-47F helicopter. The Chinook belongs to Stockton-based "B Company, 1st Battalion, 126th Aviation Regiment, known as the Delta Schooners" of the California National Guard.
The new CH-47F helicopters are right off the assembly line with all new parts. The F-model retains the Chinook’s rugged, dual-rotor, heavy-lift airframe but adds a high-tech digital cockpit that practically flies the aircraft by itself. The CH-47F brings improved situational awareness, reduced pilot workload, and higher operational readiness rates while maintaining all the lifting and load carrying capacity of the CH-47D.
In California, the Chinook does everything from troop movement, cargo transport, high altitude search and rescues and water drops while fighting wildfires. The old workhorse first joined the Army’s aircraft fleet in 1962. While the Army has long since retired other helicopters from that era, such as the iconic UH-1 Hueys and AH-1 Cobras, the Chinook is still flying strong. Its versatility, usefulness and power, along with some high-tech upgrades, mean the aircraft will be a part of Army Aviation for decades to come.
Click HERE to watch a slide show of the amazing trip the Surfriders took. (Photos courtesy of Sonia Fernandez and Spencer Bruttig, UCSB Public Affairs, News and Communications)
Wednesday, March 18, 2015
The Winter 2015 Surfrider Newsletter has been published. In this issue:
- A day in the life of a Surfrider Cadet
- Cadets train for the Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon
- New technology enhances training for Cadets
- The Ranger Challenge team competes at Joint Base Lewis-McChord
The UCSB ROTC Ranger Challenge Team won the Task Force South Competition against nine (9) other schools on October 25, 2014. They placed 3rd (out of 32 teams in the 8th Brigade) at the next level of competition held at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington, on February 27-28, 2015. Congratulations Surfriders!
Friday, January 30, 2015
The Fall 2014 Surfrider Newsletter has been published. Some highlights in this issue:
- Fourth year Cadets excel at Leadership Development and Assessment Course (LDAC)
- Cadets travel around the world via Project GO and CULP programs
- The Ranger Challenge team earns 1st Place in the first round of competition
- Surfriders participated in various Veterans Day weekend activities
Monday, August 28, 2014
The Spring 2014 Surfrider Newsletter has been published. In this issue:
- Cadets plan and host a successful Spring Quarter Military Ball
- Surfrider Battalion Commissions ten Second Lieutenants
- Third Year Cadets participate in Leadership Development and Assessment Course
- Surfriders volunteer for USS Ronal Reagan visit
- UCSB ROTC Alumni Reception
UC Santa Barbara Alumni Association's online news outlet, Coastlines, featured an article about the UCSB ROTC Surfrider Cadets and how they discipline themselves to balance school and ROTC.
Tuesday, April 29, 2014
The Winter 2014 Surfrider Newsletter has been published. Some events highlighted in this issue:
- Eleven Cadets attend the first annual 8th Brigade Ranger Challenge Competition
- Twenty-two Cadets participate in the Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon
- Two Cadets will attend Airborne School and Air Assault School and four Cadets will travel overseas to participate in CULP this summer
- ROTC Surfrider Cadets support the community with Color Guard and bring awareness to the program with local fundraising
The Surfrider Battalion is featured in an article on the UCSB Home Page describing how the sterling Army ROTC program trains leaders of industry and military alike.UCSB’s sterling Army ROTC program trains leaders of industry and military alike - See more at: http://www.news.ucsb.edu/2014/014073/leaders-example#sthash.dzkgZwky.dpuf
Monday, November 25, 2013
We have published the Fall 2013 Surfrider Newsletter showcasing recent events in the battalion. In this issue:
- Four Cadets travelled around the world to participate in CULP
- Our new MS IV Cadets attented LDAC this past summer
- Project Global Officer, CTLT and LTC were a big success
- See the various ways the Surfrider Battalion honored Veterans
The Surfrider Battalion is featured in an article on the UCSB Home Page about the ongoing research at UC Santa Barbara that focuses on the men and women who answer the call of duty.
Monday, July 1, 2013
We have published the Surfrider Newsletter Spring 2013 .pdf covering our Spring Quarter. In this issue:
- We held our Spring FTX April 11-14 at Camp San Luis Obispo.
- Our Alumni Reception was held during the All Gaucho Reunion.
- Our Annual ROTC Military Ball was held on May 4.
- We had 8 Cadets commission as new Second Lieutenants.
- Plans for CULP, CTLT, Air Assault School and Airborne School.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
The Surfrider Battalion is featured in an article on the UCSB Home Page and includes a video showcasing some of our activities.